There is rarely a perfect time to sell a home. Market conditions fluctuate and so do your personal circumstances. If you are considering a move, the key is to focus on the things you can control. Your answers to these questions may help you find the time to sell that's right for you.
Why do you want to move?
The size of your family is a big factor when deciding whether to sell. You may need more space to accommodate a growing family. Perhaps it's time to downsize if the kids are gone or you have recently divorced. See,
Are you in debt?
Some buyers end up putting other financial goals on hold while struggling to cover the cost of home ownership. Can you relate? Before rushing to sell, take a look at your financial situation to see where you stand. You may want to pay off credit cards or save for an emergency first. If more cash flow would make those goals feasible, refinancing your existing home is an option.
Can you afford to move?
How will a new house with a new mortgage payment impact your current cash flow? Will you be able to use profit from the sale of your home for a down payment on your next home? Connect with a lender early in your selling process and talk about price range, minimum and maximum prices for a new home, and what you can afford while maintaining room saving and giving.
What other factors should you consider?
When thinking about selling your home, consider these things, many of which you cannot control.
- Seasons – Most homes sell in spring or summer. But fall brings buyers, too, as families relocate at back-to-school time. Snowbirds flocking to southern climates boost winter sales in those areas.
- Health – Changes in your health may prompt you to want fewer stairs to navigate or less property to maintain.
- Job Transfers – If relocation is imminent, waiting to sell may not be an option.
- Rentals – Rising rental rates in your area can motivate more renters to buy.
- Buyers – Always remember that buyers control most aspects of the deal, from what they are willing to pay to when you will have to move.