One of your greatest financial assets already exists in your wallet: your debit card. Your debit card can serve as one of your greatest resources, holding purchasing power while acting as a budgeting tool. Debit card usage has a reputation of greater risk. How can you utilize the benefits of your debit card while protecting your financial wellbeing? Check out these TCU tips to keep safely swiping.
- Utilize a digital wallet such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.
- Online shop only on trusted sites. Make sure you are looking for the “s” in https or lock symbol in the address bar.
- Check your bank statements regularly and report any fraudulent activity immediately.
- Only utilize ATMs associated with a bank; avoid possible “skimming” locations.
- Change your PIN number every few months.
- Report a lost or stolen debit card immediately and cancel the missing card.
- Avoid public wireless internet networks when making online transactions.
- Implement two factor authorization if available with strong backup security questions.
What are the budgeting benefits of a debit card?
Debit cards provide a valuable budgeting resource your credit cards can’t: a real-time account balance that immediately reflects purchases. This instantly up-to-date information can help better budget your resources and track assets. With our TCU debit card, members can check their balance live and on-the-go with TCU’s
Powered with Fraud Protection Tools
Additionally, using a Thrivent Credit Union debit card is just as secure as swiping a credit card. TCU has your back with debit card fraud protection. This feature gives members peace of mind knowing their unauthorized debit card purchases are equally protected.
Not only are your purchases backed by our fraud protection, but we offer additional third-party controls to manage your debit card:
- Utilize the CardValet App by downloading through an Leaving TCUYou are now leaving Thrivent Credit Union's website. Deposit and lending services are offered by Thrivent Credit Union, the marketing name for Thrivent Federal Credit Union, a member-owned not-for-profit financial cooperative that is federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration and doing business in accordance with the Federal Fair Lending Laws. Insurance, securities, investment advisory and trust and investment management accounts and services offered by Thrivent, the marketing name for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, or its affiliates are not deposits or obligations of Thrivent Federal Credit Union, are not guaranteed by Thrivent Federal Credit Union or any bank, are not insured by the NCUA, FDIC or any other federal government agency, and involve investment risk, including possible loss of the principal amount invested.
- You can set real-time alerts which keep you informed when your cards are used.
- You can set transaction controls which allows your card to work only in specific locations or geographic areas.
- You have the option to turn your cards “off” which means no withdrawals or purchases will be approved.
For more information on TCU checking accounts, visit our
Looking for more tips and security resources? Read additional