Before You Apply
Things to Think About
What Information Do I Need to Apply?
To apply for student loan or line of credit you will need:
- Personal information: name, social security number, date of birth, address, number of years you've lived at your address, phone number, driver's license or state ID.
- School information: name, address, academic term for your loan or the initial year of your line of credit (semester, year).
- Employment information (if applicable): name of employer, address, phone number, length of employment, income.
- Reference information (a reference can be a relative or non-relative, but cannot live at your or your co-signer's place of residence): name, address, phone number.
- Co-signer's email address and phone number (if applicable).
- Amount you wish to borrow on your loan or the amount you wish to have advanced in the initial year of your line of credit ($1,000 to $80,000).
- Any additional sources of income that you'd like considered in the loan application.
Consider All Student Financial Aid Options
Before applying for a private student loan, we recommend that you first consider all of your options including Federal education loans. We encourage you to maximize grants, scholarships and other free financial aid before taking student loans. Borrow responsibly and take out only what you need.
Complete the FAFSA
To apply for Federal loans, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at fafsa.ed.gov (Link opens in new window) or get a paper FAFSA application from your high school counselor or college financial aid advisor.
To complete the FAFSA, you will need:
- Social Security number
- Driver's license or state identification card
- W-2 forms
- Prior-year tax return
- Bank statements
Thrivent Federal Credit Union membership is required for student loan borrowers. If you're not already a member, you will be asked to complete our membership process after you apply for your loan.1
For general questions on student lending and membership, call 888-271-6397.
For questions about applying or an existing application, call 866-540-3191.
For questions about an existing loan, call (800) 999-6227.