College Financing 101: Fill out your FAFSA! Your path to student financial aid starts here.

We want to help you start out on the right financial path with college funding. The first step is to explore all your free financial aid options.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an online form required by most colleges and universities in the United States to determine a student's eligibility for need-based financial aid.

For more information about the FAFSA, visit (Link opens in new window).

Why Fill It Out?

Submitting the FAFSA is how you apply for funds from the federal government and your state. And some schools require you to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for their scholarships (including academic scholarships).

There's no income cutoff to qualify for federal student aid. Eligibility is determined by a mathematical formula, not by your parents' income or your savings alone.

When Should I Fill It Out?

There are federal and state deadlines. Beginning October 1, 2016, the FAFSA is available to fill out for the 2017/2018 school year. Refer to When do I fill out the FAFSA? (Link opens in new window) on the Federal Student Aid website. You will use your 2015 tax return when filling out this FAFSA.

Visit (Link opens in new window) for details.

Gather these documents to complete the FAFSA and other financial aid application forms:

  • The student's driver's license and Social Security card.
  • The student's income tax returns, W-2 forms and 1099 forms for the previous year. If the student is married, you'll need these same documents for the student's spouse.
  • The parents' income tax returns, W-2 forms and 1099 forms for the previous year.
  • Current bank statements and mortgage information.
  • Records relating to stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other investments.
  • Documentation of nontaxable income, such as Social Security income, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and veterans benefits.
  • Business and farm records.
  • Records relating to any unusual family financial circumstances, such as medical and dental expenses not covered by health insurance, tuition expenses at elementary or secondary schools, unusually high child care costs, death, divorce and loss of employment.

After you've explored free financial aid, we're here to help you fill the gap.

If you need to borrow, compare federal and private student loans and choose the loans that best fit your needs. That's where we can help guide you through your options.

Private Student Loan Options

We offer two options to fund your educational needs:

  1. Our Thrivent Private Student Loan with a fixed or variable rate.
  2. Our Thrivent Student Tuition Line of credit with a variable rate.

Both options have flexible features that can serve your needs, depending on your student's year in school and how much you need to borrow.* Call 800-688-6031 for more information about the options we offer.

* Membership in Thrivent Federal Credit Union is required for the borrower. If you're not already a member, you will be asked to apply for membership when you apply for your loan.

Not Ready to Apply Yet?

Call 800-688-6031 or click the button below to discuss your options with us.

Contact Me