Home / Get answers / Articles & resources / Estimate your college financial needs

Estimate your college financial needs

We want to help you start out on the right financial path with college funding. The first step is to explore all your free financial aid options.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an online form required by most colleges and universities in the United States to determine a student's eligibility for need-based financial aid.

For more information about the FAFSA, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa.

Why and when?

Why fill it out?

Submitting the FAFSA is how you apply for funds from the federal government and your state. Some schools also require you to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for their scholarships (including academic scholarships).

There's no income cutoff to qualify for federal student aid. Eligibility is determined by a mathematical formula, not by your parents' income or your savings alone.

When should I fill it out?

There are federal and state deadlines. Beginning October 1, 2017, the FAFSA is available to fill out for the 2018/2019 school year. Refer to the Federal Student Aid website and remember, you will use your 2016 tax return when filling out this FAFSA.

What do I need?

Gather these documents to complete the FAFSA and other financial aid application forms:

  • The student's driver's license and Social Security card.
  • The student's income tax returns, W-2 forms and 1099 forms for the previous year. If the student is married, you'll need these same documents for the student's spouse.
  • The parents' income tax returns, W-2 forms and 1099 forms for the previous year.
  • Current bank statements and mortgage information.
  • Records relating to stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other investments.
  • Documentation of nontaxable income, such as Social Security income, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and veterans benefits.
  • Business and farm records.
  • Records relating to any unusual family financial circumstances, such as medical and dental expenses not covered by health insurance, tuition expenses at elementary or secondary schools, unusually high child care costs, death, divorce and loss of employment.

What's next?

After you've explored free financial aid, we're here to help you fill the gap.

If you need to borrow, compare federal and private student loans and choose the loan that best fits your needs. That's where we can help guide you through your options.

Private student loan options

We offer two options to fund your educational needs:

  1. Our Thrivent Private Student Loan1 with a fixed or variable rate.
  2. Our Thrivent Student Tuition Line of credit1 with a variable rate.

Both options have flexible features that can serve your needs, depending on your student's year in school and how much you need to borrow.2 Call 800-688-6031 for more information about the options we offer.

1 Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. Thrivent Federal Credit Union reserves the right to change or discontinue these programs without notice. All loans and lines of credit are subject to credit approval and may not be available in certain schools or certain jurisdictions. For more information call us at 866-540-3191.

2 Membership in Thrivent Federal Credit Union is required for the borrower. If you're not already a member, you will be asked to apply for membership when you apply for your loan.