Find the right mortgage for moving on or up
Looking to buy a bigger home? Time to downsize? Need a new location?
Whatever the reason, selling your current home and buying a new one are big endeavors. While the process is similar to your first home buying experience, there are some added complexities to buying a second or third home. Join Thrivent Federal Credit Union and we'll help you navigate the home selling and buying process.
Before you start the home-buying process
Use these questions to prepare yourself for the steps ahead.
- What's the housing market like?
- How will the seasons impact your home search and sale?
- Does your realtor predict that your home will sell quickly, or will it take time?
- Are you planning on selling first and buying second?
- How are you preparing for the potential change in mortgage payment? What kind of mortgage can your current income support, while still maintaining your saving and giving goals?
- How much debt do you have?
- What's your credit score?
- Are you working to pay off credit cards or restructure current loans?
- Are you ready to pay two mortgages if you're unable to sell your home while purchasing another?
- Are you prepared to live in a short-term rental space if you sell your current home and can't find your next home right away?
Preparing to sell your home
Preparing your current home for the market is the first step in buying your next house. For some homeowners, this means a new coat of paint and general cleaning. For others, preparing to sell can be very involved. Read the article about preparing your home to sell and make sure you're ready to put your house on the market before the next home search begins.
All loans and lines of credit are subject to credit application, qualification and approval. Must qualify for membership.